Friday, April 29, 2011

Story time....


The Bowl

During the time Buddha lived, once famine struck the land.  Rains failed and people were starving.
Even the animals and birds were sufferring.   and the heat of the sun withered the harvest in the field
The wealthy people grew greedy and selfish and started to hide their grains and saved for their needy time.
The Buddha called all his followers and held a big meeting. He asked them to help the poor ones..  One Wealthy man stood up and said "I feel so ashamed that I will not be in a position to help all people in the Village'.
Hard times starve people's spirits, as well as their bodies.
"Saddest of all, Lord Buddha," said a third, "are the stories of children(triangle) dying of hunger on the poor side of town, because the wealthy have hoarded all the grain and milk and sugar."
Another one said, 'I wonder how I am going to pay my tax this year to the Government, since I couldn't harvest anything'.
Third one said, 'I am already in the process of selling my lands and other properties, just to help my family.
The Buddha said, "Is there no one here," he asked finally, "who will take on the job of helping to feed the poor and homeless in these hard times?"
There was silence. Then a sweet voice said, "I will, Lord Buddha."
Out of the crowd stepped a girl, no more than 6 or 7 years old. She was a daughter of Saint Buddha's follower.  "My name is Supriya," said the child, "and I have a bowl to fill with food for the hungry. When can I begin?" 
Everyone in the crowd were shocked, some were laughing at the girl.  The Buddha smiled. "Small child," he said, "your heart is filled with love, but how will you do this alone?"
Supriya replied, "Not alone, Lord Buddha, but with your help. I'll take this bowl from house to house and ask for food for the poor. I will not be refused. I know it."
After hearing the child, the selfish among those present grew ashamed.
Then Supriya took her bowl, and every day she went from house to house in the village. Wherever she went her bowl got filled.
"Now," said Supriya, "the hungry will eat, and the people of this town will take care of each other." And so they did.
So it all depends on the attitude, if we feel we can then we can.  If we feel we can't then we can never do anything.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger